In this tour, enjoy the astounding views as well as culture of the Andes. Enjoy everything from the: remarkable colonial buildings of Salta; the amazing Cerro de los Siete Colores (Seven Color Hill); the Uyuni Salt Falts: over 12.000 km2 pure salt! These are the largest Salt Flats in the World; discover the colored volcanoes and lagoons of Eduardo Abaroa National Reserve; and the astounding Death Valley and Moon Valley in San Pedro de Atacama!
- Duration: 10 days
- Arrival: Daily
- Departure: Daily
- Destinations: Salta, Humamahuaca, Uyuni, San Pedro de Atacama, Moon Valley.
|Day 1||Arrival in Salta||—||Salta|
|Day 2||Free day in Salta||(B)||Salta|
|Day 3||Huamahuaca tour||(B)||Huamahuaca|
|Day 4||Travel: Humahuaca – Villazon – Uyuni||(B) (L) (D)||Uyuni|
|Day 5||Travel: Uyuni – Colchani – Pucara de Ayque – Uyuni||(B) (L) (D)||Uyuni|
|Day 6||Travel: Uyuni Salt flats – Villamar||(L) (D)||Villamar|
|Day 7||Villamar – San Pedro de Atacama||(B)||San Pedro de Atacama|
|Day 8||San Pedro de Atacama – Moon Valley||(B)||San Pedro de Atacama|
|Day 9||San Pedro de Atacama||(B)||San Pedro de Atacama|
|Day 10||Flight to your next destination||(B)|
Day 01: Salta
Upon arrival in Salta, our bilingual tour guide will pick you up from the airport and transport you to your hotel. In the afternoon, enjoy a private city tour on foot. The city tour will help you become more familiar with the city of Salta, which was founded in 1582 and it still bears it’s distinct Hispanic character; setting it apart from other cities in the country.
The tour begins when our guide picks passengers up at hotel and starts the walk to the 9 de Julio main square. In the main square we will have an opportunity to appreciate the most important buildings located around it. Passengers will continue through the Caseros St. until reaching San Francisco’s Church, where they will be able to visit it. Later, the tour will continue to San Bernardo Convent, the oldest building in the City. From this point, passengers will walk until the cable car station in San Martin Park, to continue to the San Bernardo hill. The San Bernardo hill chair lift ticket is included in your tour. Once at the top, we will be able to enjoy a panoramic view of the City as well as the entire Lerma Valley, where Salta is located.
Day 02: Salta
Today is a day of leisure. You may ask for optional tours. We suggest taking part of a regular a excursion (see options below).
Day 03: Huamahuaca
After breakfast, we will depart on a shared excursion to Humahuaca Gorge. On the way to Humahuaca, the tour passes by different villages such as, Volcán, Tumbaya and Maimará, with their “Paleta del Pintor” (Painter’s Palette). We will stop briefly in Purmamarca, a famous village well known for the “Cerro de los Siete Colores” (Seven Colors Hill), where you will have time to visit the handcraft market and to walk around the village itself. We will then continue to Tilcara, where we will visit an Archaeological Museum and the “Pucará”, amazing indigenous ruins (note: entrance fee is not included). We then continue the trip, passing by the villages of Huacalera and Uquía, until we finally arriving to Humahuaca. Humahuaca is an ancient picturesque village, where we will have free time for lunch. In the afternoon, we will offer time for own exploration or short hikes with our guide.
Day 04: Humahuaca – Villazon – Uyuni
After breakfast, we will take a bus to La Quiaca with a guide from Argentina. Upon arrival to La Quiaca, the guide will bring you close to the border, where you will then go through immigration and cross it on your own. Once you make it through all the immigration & customs processes, you will meet your Bolivian guide who will take you to the train to Uyuni. Upon arrival in Uyuni you will be taken to your hotel.
Day 05: Uyuni – Colchani – Pucara de Ayque – Uyuni
Today, the trip to Colchani will show you how the natives produce salt. The visit to the great Uyuni salt flats on the Incahuasi Island is a special habitat of volcanic rocks and giant cactus. Continue northwards to see the Pucara de Ayque fort and the nearby chullpares on the foothills of the Thunupa Volcano. Then travel back to Uyuni.
Day 06: Uyuni Salt flats – Villamar
Morning trip towards the south crossing of the salt flats. Leaving them behind once in the village of Chuvica, to then, enter the highlands and small branches of the western range. Pass the villages of San Juan and San Agustin until reaching the rich high valley of Alota. We will continue southwards, with the great stone formations produced by the erosion, to finally reach Villamar.
Day 07: Villamar – San Pedro de Atacama
This will be a LONG DAY! Early departure to the Eduardo Avaroa reserve (REA), going through Polques and visiting the Laguna Colorada (4,278m). The Laguna Colorada has been declared a RAMSAR site, “Sol de Mañana” geysers, where natural hot springs of Polques sit. Continue through the high desert of Pampas de Dali until “Laguna Verde”, a beautiful green lagoon at the foothills of the Licancabur Mountain. Continue to the border Hito Cajon, where we will change vehicles and continue our trip to San Pedro de Atacama (service provided with driver).
Day 08: San Pedro de Atacama – Moon Valley
You will be pick up at your hotel. We will leave San Pedro heading towards Calama.
First, we will explore the Death Valley, a mountainous and sandy valley nearby San Pedro. The Death Valley is located inside this salt mountain range, a surprising spectacle of amazing forms, hills and minerals that shine in the distance. Geologically, it corresponds to a sunken lake bottom, where the sediment stratum once horizontal have adopted a vertical position due to the folds in the crust.
Afterwards, we will continue to the Moon Valley, one of the most spectacular phenomenons in the Atacama Desert because of its geographic features of geological structures that suffered by erosion thousands of years by the climate effects. You may take an optional short hike to one of the giants and dunes in the valley.
In the evening, you will return to your hotel in San Pedro. (Note: entrance fees is not included.)
Day 09: San Pedro de Atacama
Free day for optional tours. We suggest visiting Tatio Geysers & Machuca Village. Overnight in San Pedro.
Day 10: San Pedro de Atacama
- Services and meals included as mentioned in the program.
- English speaking guides.
- Includes entrances fee and contributions, unless otherwise mentioned.
- Private services.
- Accommodation as mentioned in the program.
- Anything not listed in the program
WEEKLY FIXED DEPARTURES 2018
- Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays
- No departures during Easter, Christmas and New Year
- Minimum number of person required for this trip is 2
- All prices are subject to change without previous notice at any time
- Rates will be confirmed at the time of booking
SERVICES FROM SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA
- Private transportation from the hotel to Calama’s Airport (without guide) $100 USD. Net price per pair.
- Regular bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta, $140USD. Net price per pair. The bus company without prior notice might modify this price.
Remarks for Andean Circle program:
- Other hotel categories at request.
- We will confirm mentioned hotels or similar ones.
- English speaking local guides from day 1 to day 10. (Except services mentioned as not escorted on the program). TC throughout the route at request.
- Private services, excepting where shared ones are mentioned.
- Regular bus tickets and train tickets; San Bernardo Hill chair lift ticket are included.
- Rainy season: (November to April) Roads might be in bad shape. Uyuni Salt flats are flooded. Access to Pucara de Ayque or Incahuasi might be difficult or impossible. Program might have to change due to these reasons.
- As roads in Uyuni Region are not paved, we will use 4×4 cars, each one with a maximum of 4 passengers. To avoid high costs, guide and / or TC will go in the back part of the cars if it will be necessary.
- Early-check in or late check-out are not included